the yoshida family

The Yoshida Family happenings = what's hot, what's not, and everything in-between.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

February 8, 2006
















Hey all, we’re back from Hawaii…well rested, and wishing we were still there! Landon and I, along with a great friend Eric Yosh, went to Oahu for a 5-day trip to celebrate a sort of mini-high school reunion for Landon at his high school’s (Punahou) Carnival. It was so good to visit Hawaii again. No matter how many times I go back there, I just love it more and more each time. We’ve had thoughts of moving back, but we’re not certain that will ever happen. We’ll just have to see.

The trip was full of good food, good fun, good times with old friends, and plenty of good sleep for Miko! And boy, I do mean GOOD FOOD. Saimin, spam musubi, chicken katsu, garlic chicken…Seriously, when we go to Hawaii, that’s the main event: food. Landon and Eric even made a list during the plane ride over, of places they wanted to hit up for food. We actually did manage to make it to several of the places, especially some of the major hole-in-the-wall places, where in Hawaii, the best kind of local food comes from! And, the carnival was just another place where we were able to stuff ourselves with Hawaii’s best local food. I could not believe such a huge carnival was taking place at a high school! Then again, when you tour Punahou’s campus, you’re not just touring the average high school campus. We’re talking huge. So much different than good old WHS. Can’t believe it’s been 10 years already. Punahou has this super fantastic organized reunion squad for the 1996 class, and I can’t seem to locate anyone who knows anything about a WHS reunion, let alone where the heck anyone from 1996 might be right now. Oh well.

I did get the chance to work out in Hawaii, which was great, not only for training, but to compensate for all the Hawaiian food that I consumed. Went for 2 ocean swims and 1 run. Difficult as it was, given that I don’t get to swim in the ocean that often, nor run in a climate with such a high level of humidity, it was still very relaxing and enjoyable. I’m glad I got to fit in the swims, because the boys were busy surfing, so that gave me plenty of time =). Unfortunately, the trip to Hawaii coincided with the first TNT practice, so I’ll have to meet everyone this Saturday, but at least I’m keeping up with the training. Tonight I am headed to our very first swim practice in Mission Viejo, where I will hopefully be able to squeeze into one of the lanes to train with my teammates. The director informed us that there’s about 150 people signed up for the tri season this year. I can’t recall the number from last year, but it was a lot less. Luckily we’re spread out amongst 4 different pools, and are training for 3 different triathlons this season: the Wildflower Triathlon in May, the Honolulu tri in May and the Maui Tri in June. I was hoping to do Honolulu in addition to Maui but they’re only 2 weeks apart and I’m not sure I could justify both trips to my financially-conscious husband. Nor my puppy who thinks our primary job is to shower him with tummy rubs and treats 24 hours a day.

Went for a bike ride yesterday, only for about 2 hours or so, because as many of you may have heard, there’s a very large fire burning rather close to where I live and the air quality: not so good. It was only 9am and already it was HOT! Today it’s 85 degrees. Low humidity. Perfect fire weather. Those families and those firefighters are in my prayers. Believe me, the sky looks like an atomic bomb exploded. Luckily there is a very large mountain between that fire and my community. A VERY large one. Praise the Lord.

Anyways, I already have a few donations in…very exciting! I’m pushing hard for a higher amount this year…given the generosity I saw last year, there’s no doubt we can do it this year! I’m hoping to do some fundraising events and even hit up more of my neighbors this year. Keep those donations coming, and check back with this blog for more fun triathlon info.

Check out the pix above of Oahu's North Shore waves in winter time, Nalu with his new haircut and the bandanna I couldn't resist buying him, and our trip to a very cool dog beach with one of my dearest friends, Jennifer.

Ciao folks.

-e.m.y.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home