the yoshida family

The Yoshida Family happenings = what's hot, what's not, and everything in-between.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Feb 13

Tomorrow Landon and I will celebrate 3 years of marriage. Hard to believe that it's been 3 years. For 2 of those 3 years, I've been participating in triathlons, so maybe that's why time has just been flying by. Or it could be because we've had Nalu for half of the 3 years so running around after him and cleaning up after him may have made time fly too...who knows...?

We had our first Team in Training swim practice last night. There were, oh, probably, 30 people there. Many, many familiar faces. I heard from our team director that we have the largest amount of alumni this season than ever before...which is fabulous. It's heartwarming to see so many other continue their commitment on to another season of TNT. In any case, the first practice consisted of a review of swim technique, demonstration of drills, and then a short set in the water. If there's one thing I've realized about swimming, it's that so much of swimming is technique. Refined technique. You can get away with somewhat less-than-ideal technique on the bike and run, but not so much with the swim. I remember reading a swimming book about the difference between a kayak and a tugboat in the water, and the difference in resistance between the two. I'm doing my best to be the kayak, with some helpful tips from my sister.

My first team practice will be this Saturday. It rained a bit yesterday, but hopefully it will be clear for Saturday.

I finally got my letter written too, so I will attach the text here. Be sure to check back with this blog and to also check out my fundraising site.

************************
Aloha!

So, after succumbing to pneumonia at the end of my first season, and suffering through what I thought was a stress fracture at the end of the third, one might think I’ve gone a little overboard with the triathlon fun. But, I think it’s just a result of me having way too much fun being a triathlete, and when you really think about it, such physical ailments are just minor setbacks on the road to curing blood cancers, right? For this season, I’ve decided to return to Maui, to the race that marked my entry into this sport…this time with a road bike! So, as I embark on my fourth season with Team in Training, I’m shooting to hit my highest fundraising amount yet, and I would love it if you’d help me get there.
In case you haven’t heard about the organization I’m a part of, let me tell you all about it! The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is a national voluntary health agency dedicated to finding a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma. The Society funds advocacy efforts in Washington D.C., research, direct patient services (including emotional support programs and financial assistance) and professional education. Team in Training (TNT) is their comprehensive program for runners, walkers, cyclists, or triathletes who, under the guidance of experienced coaches and mentors, train for 5 months in order to cross the finish line at a marathon, a century bike ride, or a triathlon. The goal of TNT is to increase funding to support the Society’s calling while promoting fitness and healthy lifestyles for all.
As a committed member of TNT, I will be competing in the King’s Trail Triathlon on June 10, 2007 in Maui, Hawaii. To complete this event, we triathletes will swim 1 mile in the beautiful blue Hawaiian waters, ride our bikes for 25 miles, and then top it all off with a 6 mile run!

I’ll do the triathlon: I need you to help me get there! The fundraising goal for this event is $5000 and I’ll definitely need all the help I can get to reach this goal. Please note, 75% of all funds raised go directly to research and your contribution is 100% tax-deductible!

It’s so easy to help. All you have to do is complete the enclosed Donor Form and submit it with your donation to me by March 9, 2007.

Also, we at Team in Training love to proudly display the names of those we are honoring (both with us and now departed) on our race-day jerseys. So, if there’s a special person who was or is affected by a disease of this type, please send that name to me. I would be honored to wear his or her name on my jersey.

A heartfelt THANKS in advance for your generous support!

GO TEAM!
-Miko

Donate online at: www.active.com/donate/tntors/miko2maui

Don’t forget to check out my blog at http://mikoyoshida.blogspot.com/


Our Honored Hero:
Gavin Ponsen is a fun-loving six year-old who adores animals, dinosaurs, and the beach! (Do I smell a hint of triathlon in his future?) He’s currently undergoing chemotherapy for ALL (Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia). He, his parents Jessica and Zak, and his brothers Wyatt (3) and Trevor (10 months old) are all thrilled to be a part of Team in Training this season and we’re just as excited to compete in his honor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home