the yoshida family

The Yoshida Family happenings = what's hot, what's not, and everything in-between.

Friday, March 16, 2007


Everyone says we Southern Californians can't take our weather for granted...and I agree, sure, but can't I just at least make one complaint? Why can't Orange County weather ever make up its mind? It's hot, it's cold, it's kind of hot, it's kind of cold...OK, it's hot, but not humid...wait, it's hot, AND humid...I was all set to go out on my brick workout today (bike, immediate run afterwards) and I wake up to a huge lovely blanket of fog! What's up with that? Luckily my cousin Ian so generously donated his bike trainer to me. So during the rainy days and days like today, I at least have another option for getting time in the saddle.

Our schedule includes one ride a week on the bike trainer, and I try to stick to that. Usually it's Tuesdays that I ride on the trainer to practice intervals, and I have to say, it's pretty challenging. If any of you have ever ridden a trainer vs riding outdoors, you know what I'm talking about. Basically there's no real "break" from riding. There are many times, no matter where you are riding, that you get a chance to just coast, or free spin, down a short hill, or along a flat...while on the bike trainer, such is not the case. You're solidly pedaling, of course, because if you stopped, there's be no workout. The wheels would just come to a halt, quickly.

So here's the setup: the back wheel is in the trainer, and the front wheel is placed into a grooved stopper of sorts, just to hold it in place, obviously, since a bike is propelled by the spinning of the back wheel, not the front. The wheel spins free slightly off the ground, and there's a resistance wheel on the back of the trainer that your bike spins against, so you can adjust to increase or decrease the work involved. I put a picture at the top so you all can see what I'm talking about. For those of you who have done spinning before, this is much different, and better for us triathletes to train on versus the spin class. Reason is, spin class works you in high heart-rate (HR) zones, more anaerobic. Basically you're aiming to get your bang for your buck in that 60 minutes. However, for triathlon, cycling is all about endurance and what you really want to build is your aerobic base, and this is done in the lower HR zones. Building your aerobic base by spending time in that saddle at those lower HR zones, is what will really help you survive the 25 miles you're riding in the race, and still have the energy to run....or if you're so inclined, the 56 miles you have to ride for the half Ironman, or if you're so crazily inclined, the 112 miles you have to ride for the Ironman...Plus, in spin class, there's weights on the front wheel that actually help it propel forward, so it's not totally you that's making the wheel spin, the bike itself is helping. Not as much work for the legs to do. You'll feel that weight if you pay close attention next time you're on a spin bike.

Anyway, I have to say, I've become a huge fan of the bike trainer. Nalu is fascinated by it and even though he's sniffed it a ton of times, and has seen me ride it in the living room, still stares at it and tries to lick every part of it. He'll even try to lick my legs when I'm riding it. I guess he likes the salty sweat. YUCK! To be honest, though, I'm not a huge fan just because of the great workout I get on it. It's more about all the movies I've been able to watch in the living room while I'm riding the trainer. We signed up for the Blockbuster program so we get new movies by mail all the time. I've made it through the Indiana Jones series, the 2 Pirates movies, and may even revisit some earlier seasons of 24. At this rate, I might actually finish the long list of movies I've wanted to see. Those who know Landon and I well know that we hardly go to the movies. We're homebodies, and would rather stay home and watch the movie in the comforts of our own living room...so this is a great thing for me. Unfortunately our DVD player isn't always reliable, though, and I can't skip any scenes or go back because Nalu ate the remote...maybe Landon will let me get a new DVD player...maybe.


Before I go, just wanted to let you all know that my fundraising is almost at $4000!!! What an amazing response I've gotten...you all are so awesome! Keep those donations coming!!!




GO TEAM

-miko

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home