26.2 miles finished. And still alive to tell the story...
OK, I'm here writing this blog in the kitchen of my aunt and uncle's place. They're napping, Landon's napping, and all the dogs are napping. The last time I tried to nap after the marathon,
I failed miserably because the endorphins were on overload. I may try again in a few minutes but I figured since I'm not mobile, I have Landon's laptop, and everyone else is asleep, maybe I should write about the race while it's still fresh in my head....so here goes:
Got up at 3:30 and my aunt drove me to the race headquarters, where we runners were promptly picked up and bussed to the top of the mountain. The drive was dark and quiet, except for the occasional house lit in the distance. I could see as we got closer to the starting line, big spotlights shining, sort of like those ones they have at the Irvine Spectrum. All of sudden, right in the middle of all that dark, we come upon a HUGE gathering of people: the starting line. Once we arrived we were greeted by tons of floodlights, loud booming music, thousands of other anxious runners, a crapload of bonfires, where of course, almost everyone was gathered, and THE COLD. Let me just say this: according to my aunt and uncle, St George is warm and lovely this time of year. However, just last night, a cold front decided to move in, and of course, at the top of that mountain where the race starts, it was 40 DEGREES. Plus a icy wind was blowing through the start line, which just made it that much more unbearable. Sure, those who are more familiar with these kind of temps have no problem getting acclimated to this kind of race start, but for this gal who lives in So Cal, and has trained most of the summer in 70-90 degree weather, I was freezing. And I do mean freezing. I had a hat, 2 shirts, a jacket, pants, and gloves on, and I still could not feel oh, probably 50% of my extremities. I debated about removing the clothing and dumping it in the usual truck that takes it for you to the finish line to pick up when you're done...I did not want to wear pants, and that many layers because it was expected to be in the high 60s, possibly 70s once we got down around the 20 mile marker or so. And I usually get really warm really fast when I race, so...I gave them up. Maybe not the best choice.
The gun went off at 6:45 and for the first 2 miles or so, I could barely see the runners in front of me. It was still pitch black outside, with limited lighting along the course. At around mile 7, the sun finally came up, and I could at least see in front of me...oh, and it was about this time that I finally got feeling back in my feet. They felt like ice cubes that first 7 miles. Mile 7 happens to be at the bottom of the largest hill in the course, which runs from mile 7 until about mile 10. That was all I got, as far as uphill climbs went. The rest was downhill, and I do mean downhill. Steep downhill. The wind was blowing, throughout the race, and it felt like icy waves passing over me. Only about 10-15 mph winds, but still, icy. However, somehow, I was doing pretty well, pacing around 8:30 - 8:45 which is much faster than I thought I was going, until I hit mile 15. At mile 15 we runners hit one of the steepest declines, and it was then that I cramped in my R quad, worse than I had ever had before, immediately followed by a much worse cramp in the L quad. It was crazy. It was almost like I couldn't believe it was happening. I was thinking: what in the world is happening to me? I never cramp when I race. Ever. And the Pac Grove tri was cold too, last September..almost as cold as this. I had to come to a complete stop. The pain was so bad I nearly cried. And, for a moment I debated calling it quits. I was at mile 15. I had 11 more miles to go, mostly downhill, which would be nothing but a nightmare for my trashed quads. I had already done a marathon. I could just try again another time.
But, you know me. That just wasn't going to happen. I could not, could not, could not, see myself giving up after training so hard for this race. I don't give up when I race. It would take a lot more to keep me down.
I looked up, asked the Lord to pull me through this, and somehow, by His grace, He did.
I hobbled to the next aid station and hit up the kids with the Bengay. (BTW, they have these kids with Bengay every 2 miles starting at mile 13. It was a life saver. Trust me.) I gulped down a Gu, some Gatorade, and half of a banana, and proceeded to run/walk for the next few miles. I stopped every 2 miles to take a break, to rest, and walk. It was so painful. Every step was painful. Even with frequent Bengay/rest stops. There hadn't been many people along the race course, but when I hit mile 23, there were tons! Perhaps it was that which gave me the impetus for that final push to the finish line. Mile 23-26.2 was lined with people. Of all ages. I loved it. I can't remember much of the last 3.2 miles, but I do remember seeing my husband just as I crossed the finish line, standing in that perfect spot, capturing that perfect pic...and I remember getting my medal, making my way to Landon through the crowd, and just breaking down in tears in his arms because I had no idea how I had just accomplished what I had....
The finish line was abuzz with excitement. We found my aunt and Nalu and then I got a rubdown too from a massage lady, which helped greatly. You all would have laughed so hard at me trying to make my way back to the car. Without being able to bend my legs, there was little I could do except some form of a zombie walk. It was ridiculous.
Luckily, my aunt has a whirlpool built into her tub. I relaxed in that for a while, downed some Advil, ate yummy Chinese, and am now doing my best to relax. What a day. What a race. All I can say is God is good, and thankfully He still has me alive and somewhat well. We leave for home tomorrow, and I can only hope that tomorrow's pain is no worse than what I felt at mile 15 today. I do know that I'm in for it, for the next couple of days. I do have Monday off work, thankfully, and I need to rest up, for I am due to race in the Nike Women's half marathon two weeks from tomorrow. I have really been looking forward to that race so I will be good about taking some time off from running, and hopefully I'll finish those 13.1 miles pain-free.
Thanks to you all who have supported me, encouraged me, prayed for me, and believed in me throughout this marathon journey. It means so much.
Right now I am thinking to myself I'll never run another one of these again, but I guarantee I will feel differently in a week. =0)
Aloha -
e.m.y
I failed miserably because the endorphins were on overload. I may try again in a few minutes but I figured since I'm not mobile, I have Landon's laptop, and everyone else is asleep, maybe I should write about the race while it's still fresh in my head....so here goes:Got up at 3:30 and my aunt drove me to the race headquarters, where we runners were promptly picked up and bussed to the top of the mountain. The drive was dark and quiet, except for the occasional house lit in the distance. I could see as we got closer to the starting line, big spotlights shining, sort of like those ones they have at the Irvine Spectrum. All of sudden, right in the middle of all that dark, we come upon a HUGE gathering of people: the starting line. Once we arrived we were greeted by tons of floodlights, loud booming music, thousands of other anxious runners, a crapload of bonfires, where of course, almost everyone was gathered, and THE COLD. Let me just say this: according to my aunt and uncle, St George is warm and lovely this time of year. However, just last night, a cold front decided to move in, and of course, at the top of that mountain where the race starts, it was 40 DEGREES. Plus a icy wind was blowing through the start line, which just made it that much more unbearable. Sure, those who are more familiar with these kind of temps have no problem getting acclimated to this kind of race start, but for this gal who lives in So Cal, and has trained most of the summer in 70-90 degree weather, I was freezing. And I do mean freezing. I had a hat, 2 shirts, a jacket, pants, and gloves on, and I still could not feel oh, probably 50% of my extremities. I debated about removing the clothing and dumping it in the usual truck that takes it for you to the finish line to pick up when you're done...I did not want to wear pants, and that many layers because it was expected to be in the high 60s, possibly 70s once we got down around the 20 mile marker or so. And I usually get really warm really fast when I race, so...I gave them up. Maybe not the best choice.
The gun went off at 6:45 and for the first 2 miles or so, I could barely see the runners in front of me. It was still pitch black outside, with limited lighting along the course. At around mile 7, the sun finally came up, and I could at least see in front of me...oh, and it was about this time that I finally got feeling back in my feet. They felt like ice cubes that first 7 miles. Mile 7 happens to be at the bottom of the largest hill in the course, which runs from mile 7 until about mile 10. That was all I got, as far as uphill climbs went. The rest was downhill, and I do mean downhill. Steep downhill. The wind was blowing, throughout the race, and it felt like icy waves passing over me. Only about 10-15 mph winds, but still, icy. However, somehow, I was doing pretty well, pacing around 8:30 - 8:45 which is much faster than I thought I was going, until I hit mile 15. At mile 15 we runners hit one of the steepest declines, and it was then that I cramped in my R quad, worse than I had ever had before, immediately followed by a much worse cramp in the L quad. It was crazy. It was almost like I couldn't believe it was happening. I was thinking: what in the world is happening to me? I never cramp when I race. Ever. And the Pac Grove tri was cold too, last September..almost as cold as this. I had to come to a complete stop. The pain was so bad I nearly cried. And, for a moment I debated calling it quits. I was at mile 15. I had 11 more miles to go, mostly downhill, which would be nothing but a nightmare for my trashed quads. I had already done a marathon. I could just try again another time.
But, you know me. That just wasn't going to happen. I could not, could not, could not, see myself giving up after training so hard for this race. I don't give up when I race. It would take a lot more to keep me down.

I looked up, asked the Lord to pull me through this, and somehow, by His grace, He did.
I hobbled to the next aid station and hit up the kids with the Bengay. (BTW, they have these kids with Bengay every 2 miles starting at mile 13. It was a life saver. Trust me.) I gulped down a Gu, some Gatorade, and half of a banana, and proceeded to run/walk for the next few miles. I stopped every 2 miles to take a break, to rest, and walk. It was so painful. Every step was painful. Even with frequent Bengay/rest stops. There hadn't been many people along the race course, but when I hit mile 23, there were tons! Perhaps it was that which gave me the impetus for that final push to the finish line. Mile 23-26.2 was lined with people. Of all ages. I loved it. I can't remember much of the last 3.2 miles, but I do remember seeing my husband just as I crossed the finish line, standing in that perfect spot, capturing that perfect pic...and I remember getting my medal, making my way to Landon through the crowd, and just breaking down in tears in his arms because I had no idea how I had just accomplished what I had....
The finish line was abuzz with excitement. We found my aunt and Nalu and then I got a rubdown too from a massage lady, which helped greatly. You all would have laughed so hard at me trying to make my way back to the car. Without being able to bend my legs, there was little I could do except some form of a zombie walk. It was ridiculous.
Luckily, my aunt has a whirlpool built into her tub. I relaxed in that for a while, downed some Advil, ate yummy Chinese, and am now doing my best to relax. What a day. What a race. All I can say is God is good, and thankfully He still has me alive and somewhat well. We leave for home tomorrow, and I can only hope that tomorrow's pain is no worse than what I felt at mile 15 today. I do know that I'm in for it, for the next couple of days. I do have Monday off work, thankfully, and I need to rest up, for I am due to race in the Nike Women's half marathon two weeks from tomorrow. I have really been looking forward to that race so I will be good about taking some time off from running, and hopefully I'll finish those 13.1 miles pain-free.
Thanks to you all who have supported me, encouraged me, prayed for me, and believed in me throughout this marathon journey. It means so much.
Right now I am thinking to myself I'll never run another one of these again, but I guarantee I will feel differently in a week. =0)
Aloha -
e.m.y

2 Comments:
At 8:59 PM ,
Phil said...
WOOOHOO!! Congratulations! You did awesome! I'm so proud you didn't quit and you finished with such an incredible time! Rest up!
At 6:12 PM ,
Anonymous said...
GO MIKO!!!!! Great job. Marcy and I are proud of you! You inspire me to run... even if it is only 2.62 miles... (1/10 of a marathon). :)
Cool pictures Landon.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home