the yoshida family

The Yoshida Family happenings = what's hot, what's not, and everything in-between.

Friday, October 05, 2007

The night before the big day

We are here in St George, and we could not have asked for better weather. It is gorgeous outside. We got here around 7pm St George time, relaxed with our family, had dinner, watched ESPN, and crashed for the night. The drive was super easy. Just over 6 hours, passing right through Vegas. A bit of traffic right at Charleston/Sahara on the 15N, but other than that, it was smooth sailing.

My aunt and uncle have a really nice place here in St George. In fact, from what I can see, the whole town is nice. Clean, friendly, and excited about the race. Nalu is with us and he is getting along fabulously with his cousins TD and Bronte. (Pix to come). Landon and my uncle got up and walked them around the neighborhood while I slept in, and then we all headed to the expo at the convention center. It was packed! Picked up my race stuff, listened to a race day clinic from a marathon record holder, and bought some great race gifts. You can sense the energy in everyone, excited about this marathon. The forecast says it will be in the 40s at the top of the mountain and in the 60s-70s at the bottom, near the end of the race. My aunt drove me up the mountain for part of the course so I could see what it was like. As I have told many of you before, the race is entirely downhill. Starts at the top of the mountain and ends up in town. Gorgeous, scenic, and indeed, mostly downhill. Good for me. Hopefully not so bad for my knees. There isn't much up there at the top though to look at, besides rocks, so I guess it will be just me, the scenery, my fellow runners, and my IPOD inspiring me as I make my way down the mountain into the city of St George.

I'm still a little nervous, but it's not as bad as before. Just trying my best to relax and the fact that my aunt Adele and uncle Ken are very low-key, chill people is really helping. My aunt Adele is a huge fan of the Food Network so I've been able to use Rachael Ray, Ina, and Emeril to take my mind off of tomorrow.

Thanks to you all who have sent well wishes, and I will post a race report once I finish. And I will finish. =0) Hopefully still standing, in 1 piece, with positive memories of a race to remember.

aloha-
e.m.y

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home